Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Timberrrr

I think those of you who know me will may known I am slightly prone to falling. I'm not quite sure what it is exactly, but it happens much more than it should now that I am older than say- 4. But when I do fall, it's seldom gracefully, sadly, my 5'10" frame can't come crashing down to the ground in a nice, ballerina-esque fashion. What would lead to me posting this particular entry today? While walking home from the subway, I suddenly found myself face down on the sidewalk of 31st Street. I honestly have no idea what happened. I was walking home from the grocery store and had the following thoughts on my mind:
  • I wonder what my new shampoo smells like.
  • My purse is so heavy, what in the world is in there?
  • I have to remember to FedEx the ROA Amex payment tomorrow.
  • Are there 4 prepays I have to remember to get to payroll or 5?
  • How long will it take to get our Off-Broadway bonds back?
  • I'm getting my haircut at 5 and seeing Billy Elliot at 8 tomorrow, is that enough time?
  • I should send my goddaughter something fun for Valentine's Day. My grandmother used to write us limericks and poems. I should be doing fun things like that for her.
  • I miss my TiVo, when am I going to be able to *CRASH*
The nice thing about falling flat on your face on the pavement, is that many people rush over to help you. One guy even chased my peanut butter as it rolled down the street. In case any of you are worried, I'm ok. Two pretty banged up palms and knees that will surely be bruised in the morning, three broken nails. Oh, and my pride. My pride will take the longest to heal.

The first thoughts that come through my head post-fall usually follow the same pattern: OMG, are my teeth ok? Wait, am I ok?! I do
n't have insurance!! Why do I keep tripping and falling. And finally, holy hell, how did I end up on the ground?!

So, there's my latest embarrassing story. All I can say is that I'm happy such ridiculous things happen to me. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have stories like these to share at parties. I would be so boring!

I'm off to nurse my wounds and my pride. Good night from Astoria, and watch out for that uneven pavement!

2 comments:

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

This is hilarious!! Nothing better than starting the day with a tripping story and a hot mug of coffee. I'm not graceful either, so I feel you. Last year I fell with all 22 of my students in line right behind me. At least they rushed over to help -- guess they don't hate me! :)

Gee said...

Oh please that doesn’t even come close to me taking a header off the school bus during a fieldtrip to the Queens Theater in Flushing or when I fell face first into a puddle of “chinatown gunk” on Canal Street – please note that at BOTH locations not one person even turned their heads to see if I was OK. In Chinatown I think someone even extinguished a cigarette but on my butt. Umm then there was falling UP the stairs in Pottery Barn, falling through the turnstile at the R/W Prince St. station, falling down the stairs at the 7 train 52nd street station, falling on the way to my table at a posh restaurant on the UWS, falling down the stairs at the Vineyard Theatre you know what that staircase is like), falling off the diving board (duhh), falling out of the house onto the stage at Bay Street Theater, falling then sliding under the risers/ audience seating at Plaza Playhouse, falling through a plate glass door, I could go on and on. Scott says that I am in a constant battle with gravity – I think he is right.