Thursday, February 12, 2009

Theatrical Inspiration

I mentioned recently that I headed over to the Richard Rodgers Theatre the other day in search of some theatrical inspiration. I surely found it in 2008 Tony Award winner for Best Musical In the Heights. The unfortunate part about finally working in the theatre here in New York City is that you're working in the theatre in New York City, meaning that your evenings and weekends are spent at work and doesn't leave much opportunity to check out what your collegues are doing.

*I would like to mention when I just typed that members of the Broadway community have now become my colleagues, I teared up a little. Wow.

Anyway, this brief hiatus while we ready the Broadway version of Rock of Ages has given me a chance to catch up on some of the amazing things that are happening here in New York theatre, and I must say, that In the Heights is one of the best productions I have seen in a long time. So, next time you readers find yourselves with a night free in Midtown, go check it out. You will not be disappointed.

And as proof of that, check out these two YouTube videos. The first one is awesome to me for a lot of reasons. It shows that the face of theatre is changing, that the voice of theatre is changing, and pretty much is amazing all on its own.

And here is the response from the amazing people at In the Heights. I dare you to watch it without being completely blown away at how amazing the theatre community is.



I'm going to make this happen on Rock of Ages. Not the stripper scenes though.

No comments: