Sunday, November 30, 2008

Still Being Thankful

Hello dear readers. I hope this finds you all returning back to your normal lives from a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving weekend. I have been pondering Thankgiving a lot as I sit here in my empty apartment on this cold rainy morning surrounded by umpteen empty tea cups, 2 boxes of Kleenex, and Noname the Giraffe that Emily left behind to keep me company while she was in San Francisco this weekend. So, I decided to pop my favorite Christmas movie, The Muppets Christmas Carol into the VCR (that's right, it's old school) and do a little blogging for the things I am thankful for in my life.

*An aside before I start my list. I began to ready myself for blogging, you know, tea making, toast buttering, video cassette searching. And I found The Muppet's Christmas Carol right where I left it, at the bottom of the massive Ikea bag I dragged over to Kelly's for Thanksgiving dinner. I arranged everything in my room, popped open another box of Kleenex and some more Tylenol SEVERE Cold and stood up to push play (alas, my tv remote is broken). And imagine my surprise to find Return to Me. Seriosuly, who still owns TWO movies on VHS? Anyone? Now, I love Return to Me more than anything, but that isn't the holiday Muppets musical I was looking for, so I went on a quest for the missing tape. I headed over to the drawer on the tv stand that holds all our DVDs and dug through until I found it. Inside the case for When Harry Met Sally. Now, where When Harry Met Sally is, I have no idea, but I have that on DVD now, so I don't care. Anyway-- now that you know that my movie viewing habits obviously revolve around only three movies, let's get on with the list, shall we?
  • I can order a Dominos pizza through my TiVo. Do you know how awesome that is? I don't know why I would ever need to do this, but the fact that I CAN makes me so happy. Thankfully, though my tv remote is broken, my TiVo remote is my best friend, and now that it can order Domino's while keping me chock full of 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother and random episodes of Dawson's Creek that it thinks I might like, well, I don't know what more to say than, I love you TiVo.
  • I am thankful for online shopping. I didn't brave the tourist crowds here in NYC this weekend, but I did order some serious gifts online. Why doesn't everyone do this! I love it.
  • Just a little shoutout for one of the stores I did some shopping at: The Container Store. I bought all my holiday wrapping supplies in one place and they are super cute! Plus, I saved shipping costs by telling them I'll pick it all up in the store on Thursday. No doubt part of their ploy to get me in the door to spend another $100, which I will do, and gladly, but it's all a brilliant thing anyway.
  • I am very thankful to be employed. Let's face it, in this sucky time of shows posting closing notices seemingly everyday, I am beyond thankful to be working on a show with a steady paycheck. But more than that, I am so thankful for the opportunity to be working on THIS show. Rock of Ages has been such a great job. It has introduced me to to all sorts of wonderful people. Everyone involved in this show from our production crew to the box office staff to the 95 person marketing machine behind the show to the billions of actors to our kick ass producers (kick ass because they send us emails that say things like, "Thanks for being so kick ass.") has been so much fun and have really made this a great experience to me.
  • But most importantly (worthy of their own bullet point) has been working with my management partners in crime. It has been so great working with this team. Nay, a team in general. It's amazing how much less stressful life can be when you have people to bounce stress off of. It's been a lot of fun, and now that 2/3 of my killer team are leaving, it's made me feel even more bittersweetly for how great it has been.
  • Friends and family in general. Old friends, new friends, theatre friends, church friends, elementary school friends, husbands and wives of those friends, friends I don't talk to as much as I should but think about all the time, cousins that listen to me laugh and cry as I wander down this insane career path, a sister who brings me Cocas when I'm feeling down, a soon-to-be brother-in-law who knows just the right time to stop by with beer and Wii Tennis, a mom that knows that all I need in life to be happy are wine and cheese. I'm seriosuly thankful every day that I am lucky enough to be surrounded by an army of support.
  • And, least I get too sentimental, I'm thankful for my Blackberry and it's happy little red light of communication. I love being attached to the world through it's little tiny screen.
  • Finally, just a list in general of small things I'm thankful for: chai lattes, iTunes 1-touch purchasing, BlackBerry Messenger, new striped socks, binder clips, calendars that sync to each other, Facebook status updates, Apples to Apples, my MacBook Pro, Harry Connick, Jr., singing the harmony to anything, singing in general, good subway kharma, walking into craft stores thinking "I CAN DO THAT!", chips and salsa, air conditioners with remotes, and Skype.
And, I think that's all for this blog entry, as I'm now sitting at my office trying to wrap this up for my readers that harass me that I don't write enough. It's not that I don't want to, but I often feel that my entries need to be perfect, and I stress out over them for way longer than necessary. So, out to the void with this belated entry of thanks. I'd love to hear what your thankful lists are this year. Leave them in the comments!

1 comment:

Kendra Swee said...

I love how you linked your blog to the Tivo site, your soooo funny!

I am grateful for such a good friend as you to make me laugh on a regular basis.

kswee