Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day readers! We'll just ignore the previous three holidays I missed and settle right into what inspired this post.

Let's talk about music for just a second. A reoccurring theme, I know, but just go with me here. So, I'm spending the morning cleaning the house, watching the Olympics, catching up on some reading. I have my iTunes doing one of those fancy "Genius Mixes" to Taylor Swift's "Fearless." I didn't really pay attention to the songs it brought up, I just set it and started the dishes in the sink. And then, "Cowboy Take Me Away" by The Dixie Chicks came on, and I was instantly transported back to College Station, TX and the beginning of my junior year at Texas A&M. If I remember correctly (and Amazon confirms) that cd was released right around Labor Day that year, just a few short weeks after my dad passed away.

I pour
ed my life into school and spent the majority of my days in the West Campus library trying my best to wrap my head around Finance 341. I had my trusty cd player and would bury myself in a study carrel for hours on end with this cd on repeat. It's amazing how you can just hear the first few notes of a song, and the resulting images that pop up in your head. So, though the only thing I remember from that class is that if I ever win the lottery, I should take the lump sum payment that they offer at the beginning, not the payment plan, I am thankful to The Dixie Chicks for getting me through that semester, which was obviously about so much more than learning how to use a finance calculator.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Wow. Love this. Anyone who doesn't know that song in the first three notes and isn't my wife should be shunned by society. You can't beat that song, no matter how hard you try. I'M TALKING TO YOU TAYLOR SWIFT! TRY AND BEAT IT! you may be able to YOU CAN'T!