Sunday, February 24, 2008

Travel days wear me out!

Happy Sunday from Coventry, England! A big shout-out to my Fantasticks peeps on a great run. It is closing night over at the Snapple Theatre on 50th and Broadway.

Today Michael and I packed up our lives in Wimbledon and carted it across two trains here to Coventry. Let me tell you, it is highly unfair to take the two Americans who are here for 6 months with no opportunity to go home and swap out clothes, and then make them take public transportation to the train station. Oh. My. God. I thought we might die. At one point, I turned around on one of the London Underground’ famous 4 mile long escalators and saw one of his suitcases tumbling down the escalator steps, while Michael tried to run the reverse way after it. Thankfully, it just kept rolling of the stairs in place, so he was able to catch up to it. Ugh! This part of my world travels will get old very fast. When we get to Houston, I’m going to be SO HAPPY! Touring US style still has it’s dramas, but at least I have someone to load my f’ing luggage onto the bus! Word. Anyway, apart from that, the journey was uneventful. The office booked us a 1st Class train ticket. Fancy! That meant free Coca for me, which I think you all know is the way to my heart. I arrived at my “digs” around 3pm. It’s a lot like being in France I’ve decided. Just staying at random people’s houses. What am I doing? Anyway, thankfully Lucy gets in tomorrow, and then I won’t feel so awkward! I went out for a walk today and found a movie theatre (and an Ikea!), so I saw “Definitely, Maybe.” It was cute I suppose. A nice distraction from being on my own in England’s very own bombing site during WWII. The movie ends with a shot from Brooklyn looking over Manhattan, and it was the first time that I actually teared up thinking., “oh! That’s home!” Interesting. Other than that, I am now a FreeCell world champion. I seriously dare any of you to challenge me. I will totally beat you. So much time without Internet connections in this country has honed my FreeCell skills quite nicely. I’m also reading “The Other Boleyn Girl,” which has been interesting so far. I’m debating whether or not to put in a few episodes of “Arrested Development.” I should probably just go to bed.

I’m also offering 1 shiny British pound for anyone who will hop on a plane and work the horrid kink out of my left shoulder caused by trying to drag my 65 pound suitcase through London’s Euston Station. Ugh. Seriously, by the time you get here, that could be worth like $.45! A great deal I think.

Um, let’s see, what else. For those of you following my sound crew hiring drama, it finally come to a resolution, and I have done my very first hiring! Can I just say that after the hours I spent running 14 million scenarios and breakdowns by schedule and dollars and pounds and whatever, at the end of the day, Rod was like, “well, ok, let’s go with what you suggest, I trust your opinion.” Which, though nice to hear, would have been much NICER to hear 3 weeks ago when I started this project. Never mind though, in the end, I got my way, and that’s the most important part, right? Right.

Alright, time to turn out the lights here in Coventry. Load-in days stress me out so much now because I'm in charge of a lot of random things I don't have to do in the States, and we all know how much I like change...

No comments: