Wednesday, June 10, 2009

So You Think You're Handy?

Just a quick anecdote for you readers to entertain your Wednesday nights, and also give you some insight into my mother/daughter relationship with Mom.

When I spoke to Mom this evening, she was just returning from meeting my friend Amber's mom for dinner at Pappadeaux. Apparently, there is a large storm approaching Arlington, so Amber's mom received about 50 phone calls as to her safety during said storm. My mom received zero and a brief, "Oh, I think someone mentioned that on Facebook" from me as I poured my second glass of wine. Needless to say, she will be taking cover at Mo's from now on if any threat of nature should dare to take over our beloved suburb again.

Anyway, as I was talking to her, I was trying to quick clean my apartment for the arrival of my cousin Susan. Thank god her flight is like three hours late, so I was able to have time to finish watching "So You Think You Can Dance" in between dishes and folding laundry. Anyway, as I was attempting to clean the sink while on the phone, the top of the sink plunger-thing spun off. In my attempt to "repair it" by spinning it back on, the entire plunger thing DISAPPEARED! I said to my mom, "Oh no, I broke my sink! How do I fix this?!" And I kid you not readers, she said to me, "Well, look under your sink for the... you know what, you should just wait for Emily to fix it." I paused for a second super offended that my mom would totally breeze over my ability to be handy,then took one look under my sink, poured my third glass of wine and texted Em to come home ASAP to fix the broken sink.

Seriously, if the shoe fits...

No comments: